Sunday, January 11, 2009

I used to work for Mme Tussauds as a portrait sculptor and also made ceramic sculpture at my own workshop, which I left shortly before the birth of my first son. 
My children are now starting nursery and school and I aim to be able to do portraits to commision and set up a ceramics workshop again.

The Mary ward Centre seems a good place to start as it is local and means I can work from life in a relaxed environment. Previously I have worked from photographs and measurements towards an ultra-realistic finnish. My anatomical knowledge is good and I am very thankful for the training I received at Tussauds. I now need to develop my own 'style' and work more freely and suggestively. I also want to be able to work faster, which only comes with practise.

Siddi was the first model I met at The Mary Ward Centre. She is an excellent model, with a face full of character, and a really sweet person. She sat for three sessions so I decided to do a  2/3 life size head. I really enjoyed working at this scale and learned how to prepare a portrait for firing, which I haven't done before. This involved making an armature that was sturdy but could be removed from the clay easily and hollowing out and pricking the clay to prevent it from exploding in the kiln.

I was pleased to have something fired by the end of term. Looking at the piece now I think I made her look too old, was too literal and not bold enough with the shapes and forms of her face. As a result it doesn't quite capture her character... but it's start. 
 

No comments: